Wednesday, March 10, 2010

RD Day

Happy Registered Dietitian (RD) day! 

It has become a social norm of the US to eat out several times a week; for celebrations, in a pinch for time or out of pure laziness. As a dietetic intern (soon-to-be RD) I have been trying to teach patients that eating healthy will start at home. Eating at home [and becoming your own chef] is the best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am not saying to never eat out again (that would be silly) but just don't make a habit of it. Cooking at home can be beneficial for countless reasons. Some include: you know all the ingredients, their portions/measures, it can help you lose weight/ maintain weight and you can control your serving size. Most importantly, it can be fun, a great family bonding experience, stress reliever and nonetheless, a great way to introduce kids to healthy eating habits!
 
In honor of RD day we are going to have a smart snacker challenge! 

The challenge will require: 


-Your kitchen
-A cookbook or recipe collection

-Food/ingredients
-A creative mind

The challenge is to test a recipe! Any recipe a new one, an old one or a made up one using a hodgepodge of ingredients! Let's start making it a habit to cook at home at least 4 times a week...starting with today [by testing a recipe].

Don't think this Smart Snacker won't join, I am always up for a challenge that involves my kitchen and food!
These are the ingredients I am going to test...



In the experiment:
-Frozen Jennie O Turkey Burgers

-Butternut Squash
-1 Sweet onion
-Jar of Sun-dried tomatoes
-Baby Spinach


My creative mind is telling me this:
A bun-less burger topped with sauteed spinach, sun-dried tomato and onion with a side of roasted butternut squash!

sounds so RDish of me, doesn't it? :) 


I will let you know how the challenge works for me so you do the same!


*Feel free to share any recipes! I always love trying something new!*

 

1 comment:

  1. You know I'll have a post with a new recipe I try at least once a week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz