Thursday, March 18, 2010

Nutrients come a dime a dozen

Ever gone to the grocery store and looked at all the veggies you wish you would buy but then just don't know what to do with them or know they will just rot (sad!)? Well, I have that kind of relationship with cabbage. Growing up, my Mom wouldn't cook a lot of gaseous (cruciferious) veggies (cabbage, cauliflower particularly) because they would smell so bad when cooking.

Well, when I was in the grocery store I eyed the cabbage for about 10 minutes then the sale sign swayed me...a whole head of cabbage for only $0.40! Smelly or not...I'm buyin' it! Besides, it only seem fit, in honor of St. Patty's day and all. 
 
Cooking method: I satueed it in a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of canola oil, garlic and onion. I cooked it until it was a little browned.

Why cabbage? Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C. It is also a very good source of fiber, manganese, folate, vitamin B6, potassium, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Cabbage is also a good source of thiamin (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), calcium, magnesium, vitamin A, and protein. It may promote GI health and has a cleansing ability!
why not, right?




Did you know that your taste buds change about every 30 days? Mom maybe you should try cabbage again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz