Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Grain-ola

Gosh I am one of those people that LOVE granola. Problem is store bought granola can be overloaded with sugar and through-the-roof in calories! Not to mention, I bet there's some devious items hiding in the ingredient labels. Coming back to the importance of cooking and going homemade; YOU KNOW WHAT'S IN YOUR FOOD

So the only way the Smart Snacker could resolve the issue...is bake some! Now I can eat my granola and feel great about it too! It is something that CAN be healthy and serve as a great source of fuel. Providing protein, fiber, complex carbohydrates (whole grains) and no cholesterol.
Now it's purely GRAIN-ola [A wholesome, easy on the heart, fiberlicious snack].



I found this great recipe in my newest real simple mag (thanks to cait...she got me the subscription for my birthday last year!). Since you obviously can't read the fine print (and it's too new to be on the website) let me recap:

"Easy Granola" (they aren't lying!!)
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Makes 6 cups

4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking) 
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut (preferably unsweetened)
1/4 cup unsalted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried fruit (I used raisins because that's all I had...wishing I had craisins)

-Heat oven to 350. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the oats, almonds, coconut and pepitas with the maple syrup, oil and salt
-Bake, tossing once, until golden and crisp. 25-30 minutes (mine took a little longer)
-Add the dried fruit and toss to combine. Let cool.


Store in air tight container for up to 3 weeks (personally, mine won't make it that long ;) )

per 1/4 cup: 141 cals,6 g fat, 19 g carbohydrates, 9 g sugar
4 g protein, 2 g fiber, 22 mg calcium, 0 mg cholesterol

Nutrition Information provided by real simple


Smart Snacker Modifications: I cut down on the oats to 2 cups (that seemed like plenty), you can add flaxmeal for additional nutrients (gooooomega 3s) and sugar-free maple syrup can be used as well (diabetics). If any modification is made, keep in mind it will alter the nutrition information.






Two things I love about real simple mag: great recipes (both healthy and affortable) and they provide you with all the nutritionals (even for funky beverages)! What's not to love?










See ya!! off to RPM soon!





1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to make my own granola. I love love love the crunch of granola in yogurt, but the nutritional stats are frightening on the package. But Special K does have a new granola out that's a lot less scary than the others out there.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz