Sunday, April 4, 2010

Q&A

Foodpicker.org has brought another question...

Q: My doctor recently diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes. I know it is important to watch my sugar intake. Is sugarless candy really sugarless?

A: Oh my is the sugar-free market a tricky thing!  For type 2 diabetics the important thing to watch your intake of is your CARBOHYDRATES (that's the magic word). Your carbohydrate is the macronutrient that is going to turn into to glucose (sugar) once it hits your blood stream and raise your blood sugar levels. Forget SUGAR...and think "Carbs!"

Sugarless candy may not have sugar but it definitely has carbohydrates. Usually the sugar is replaced with sugar alcohols and artificial sugars. These substitutes will not have calories but may have carbohydrates.

Case in point: Pay attention to carbohydrate intake as oppose to your sugar intake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz