Monday, November 1, 2010

My Guide to Portions

Hey guys! Thanks for the great emails with awesome suggestions! I got one question regarding portion sizes...

 Portion control can be a deciding factor in weight loss vs. management. It is usually what anyone can make a simple modification with and see results! Often times it is hard to measure our portions percisely using a scale so I like to use different objects and tricks in order to keep my portions in [quick] check! Follow My Guide to Portions and feel confident about your plate...


  • Tip of your thumb: about 1 tsp of peanut butter
  • Handful: about 1/2 cup cooked or raw vegetables, a piece of fruit or 1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta
  • Check book: equivalent to a 3 oz serving of fish
  • CD: equivalent serving size of a waffle, pancake or slice of bread
  • Computer mouse: one serving of a baked potato
  • Deck of playing cards/ palm of your hand: a serving or meat, fish or poultry
  • One domino: 1 oz serving of cheese
  • Golf ball: about 1/4 cup of dried fruit or nuts
  • Tennis ball: about 1/2 cup of food (ie. ice cream)
  • A baseball/ size of your fist: equal to a serving of fruit or vegetables
   
A real quick tip...fill your plate with 1/2 vegetables!

What's your portion control trick?




1 comment:

  1. I usually measure out foods once and then get a good mental image of it so every time I have it I can just measure it out with my memory ahah.. although- I have NO portion control when it comes to veggies- i literally eat WAY over the recommended amount... they are too too good!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz