Thursday, May 27, 2010

Living on the road

Hey guys, Happy Thursday! One day closer to the holiday weekend...the beach and the pool!? right?

You may or may not know that I have been living on the road for weeks now [it seems]. I haven't been home for two straight weeks since I finished my internship back in April! Whether it's a vacation, a work site visit or a celebration, I am goin' and goin'!

If your a frequent SS reader you know I am the ultimate gym rat and thrive off my group fitness classes! So, when I am traveling it's hard to keep up with my rigid schedule I am used to (ie. bodypump and rpm in one night...two hours of intense workout). Well, I have found I can't let my traveling get in the way if I want to stay fit and healthy...a couple of things I have vowed to do while vacationing?

-Go on a walk whenever I can; take advantage of the parks nearby. My mom and I like to walk her dog and have planned a ton of walks for this weekend
-Home gym; you can do sit-ups, push-ups and lunges anywhere...start movin'
-Watch my food intake; since I know I am not burning as many calories as I usually would after an intense two hour workout I know I need to cut back so I am simply applying my portion control techniques
-Split a dish; I don't know about you but traveling more often than not, means eating in restaurants. Let's admit, it's a good gathering place so we know it's bound to happen. What am I doing to avoid weight gain? Ordered a small salad or appetizer as my meal, splitting a dish or boxing half and taking it home
-Go to a local gym and scope out a day or weekend pass
-Avoid temptations; just because your traveling doesn't mean the healthy eating gets thrown out the window. Pass of desserts or just share one. Getting ice cream? try a smaller size or a sugar-free snow cone
-Plan ahead; take snacks when you know you can. This weekend, I have already said I will pack some snacks for the house so we don't feel tempted to keep eating out
-Check out different farmer's markets where you may be visiting; this will allow you to have fresh fruits and veggies on hand

It's almost summer time, what are you doing to stay fit and healthy during all your beach trips?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz