Saturday, May 1, 2010

Relaxing Read

Hey guys! Happy Saturday!

Gosh I love the weekends. I feel like they are a boost of positive energy...everyone always seems to be in a better mood, don't they?

So after my rpm and bodypump classes this morning (what a better way to start the day, right?), I thought there would be nothing better to do other than soak up the sun! While pulling into my complex, I saw the whole neighborhood out celebrating the openning of our pool! What a great idea! I gathered my two new mags I have been dying to read (Real Simple and Shape), my refreshing iced coffee and a water bottle and headed out to the the pool.

During my relaxing read I came across this great tip. I thought I'd share:
The latest edition (May 2010) of Shape, in their "Eat right news" section reads:
Shake up your Seafood
Sick of Salmon? Here's another was to get your omega-3s; cook leaner fillets, like cod, in sunflower oil. Accoding to the Journal of Food Science, doing so ups the amount of heart-healthy fats in the dish.



Smart Snacker Tid-bit: Uping the heart-healthy fats (like omega-3s) from the sunflower oil will substitute for those that you are missing in the leaner cuts of seafood. Sunflower oil is a polyunsaturated fat (fancy word for heart-healthy fat). It is high in Vitamin E and low in saturated (artery clogging) fats. It is a great alternative oil for frying.

Making Sense of things: A Closer look at your Polyunsaturated Fats:

Properties:
Soft or liquid at room temperature, Decreases harmful LDL cholesterol, Decreases total cholesterol
Types:
Omega-6
--Linoleic acid – vegetable oils (corn, sunflower, safflower, soybean, cottonseed), poultry fat
--Arachidonic acid – meats (or made from linoleic acid)
Omega-3
--Linolenic acid
--Oils (flaxseed, canola, walnut, wheat germ, soybean)
--Nuts and seeds (butternuts, walnuts, soybean kernels)
--Vegetables (soybeans)
--EPA and DHA – related to the prevention and treatment of heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis and cancer.
--Human milk
--Shellfish and fish (mackerel, salmon, anchovy, herring, lake trout, sardines, tuna)
--Or made in the body from linolenic acid
Reference



Along with this great tip, this edition had a ton of great healthy lifestyle suggestions. I love this magazine because it is very practical. Now go out and get one already ; )
Enjoy the rest of your day!



Do you have a favorite magazine with practical tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz