Monday, May 17, 2010

Siggi's

The last time I tried siggi's was in California; I tried the vanilla flavor because to me, you can't go wrong with vanilla. Evidently, sometimes you can? I didn't like it, the flavor was blah and pretty much nonexistent. As for the texture...that caught me off gaurd!
Now, I know with high protein yogurts like siggi's greek counterparts to expect thick but siggi's was ULTRA THICK! So thick that it only took about 4 bites to fill me up! I couldn't even plish off a full container in one sitting. To me, this product isn't such a good on-the-go lunch item but it is okay for something around the house.

So this taste test gone wrong leads me to the reason for this blog post...
while browsing at EarthFare, I came across siggi's again. I reaaaally want to dig this stuff, so I thought I'd give it another whirl. This time Orange & Ginger was my victim.

This flavor was hands down, the best! I did have to split it between two different snacks but both times I had it topped with fresh berries! The product still managed to stick to my ribs as if it were a huge meal. I would definitely call this yogurt nutrient dense...low in calories, high in nutrients! The bits of orange & ginger [in the yogurt] serve as flavor bursts and aid in giving this yogurt its full flavor profile and refreshing taste.

A little background on the product from the siggi's website: "Skyr is the traditional yogurt of Iceland. It is made by incubating skim milk with live active cultures. The whey, the water naturally found in milk, is then strained away to make for a much thicker, creamier, concentrated yogurt. So to make just one cup of skyr, with all that water going out, you need 3 - 4 times the amount of milk required to make a regular cup of yogurt. As a result of this process skyr comes out with 2-3 times the protein count of standard yogurt."




Siggi's Claims: all natural, milk from grass fed cows, no aspartame, no sucralose, no gelatin, no artificial colorings, no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, No rBGH (milk produced without the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone). Gosh, these people are good ; )

Nutritional profile: 120 calories, 0 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 16 g protein, 20% calcium


Move over greek yogurt, siggi's has something on ya!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
Foodbuzz