Around this time of year it's a good idea to re-evaluate your diet and make your way towards adopting a new behavior modification...for example, I am adding more vegetables to my lunch.
Making behavior modifications like mine above, and following a healthy diet, while incorporating exercise, will promote a healthy lifestyle, optimal well being and may help protect against some cancers and other diseases.
Some quick tips?
- Maintain a healthy weight; avoiding excessive weight loss/ weight gain is ideal, the street name would be "yo-yo dieting," ugh makes me cringe!
- Try and incorporate fruits and vegetables at each meal; berries with breakfast, a salad and a banana with lunch and broccoli mixed with cauliflower with dinner
- Go for whole grains and whole wheat carbohydrates (breads, pastas, rice, etc)
- Get most of your fat from "healthy fat" (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) found in olive and canola oils, fatty fish like salmon and nuts
- Make sure your getting your share of Vitamin D and Calcium...remember that awesome yogurt? eat it!
- Limit red meats and processed meat/foods (think- pre-packaged)!
- Try and exercise at least 30 minutes everyday, even if it's taking the stairs all day at work instead of the elevator! It can all count : )